Celebrating 147 years of advancing the kingdom of God in Centerburg, in Central Ohio, and around the world.
HISTORY OF CENTERBURG CHRISTIAN CHURCH
The Christian Church of Centerburg was organized December 20, 1872. At that time the church was part of a larger body known as "The Christian Church" or "The Christians," which had its origin about the year 1792. The church filed articles of incorporation, for religious and church purposes, with the State of Ohio on May 10, 1897, which were approved on May 21st of that year.
The church congregation met in the Freewill Baptist meeting house from its organization until 1879, when a 32 by 38 foot frame building was erected on lot 119 on the plat of Centerburg. The building which cost $1700 to erect, was dedicated to God on the second Sabbath in September, 1879. On September 26, 1909, the frame building was totally destroyed by fire and the current building was erected in 1911. While the new building was being erected, the congregation met in the Presbyterian Church and in the Baptist meeting house.
In April of 1903, the church parsonage was purchased. Whether or not it was the parsonage previously owned by the church at 169 West Main Street is not known. This parsonage was sold in December 1998. By 1906, the church had a membership of 80 and was endowed with a 160 acre farm, deeded to the church by John and Rebecca Armstrong. The church is located in an area of Centerburg described in the deed as "The Armstrong Addition."
In 1973, the church withdrew from the United Church of Christ and became an Independent church adhering to its current Baptistic doctrine.